Inside Alaska Business
Alaska Materials
Alaska Materials, a wholesale supplier of construction, building, and specialty materials, announced a Master Distribution Agreement with Diamond Grid, which produces a surface stabilization and erosion control system that can be used for shed floors, camp paths, mine access roads, feed and water troughs, parking lots, golf courses, driveways, and more. The agreement is exclusive to develop Alaska and provides an open door to further development in the Lower 48.

Trilogy Metals
Trilogy Metals reported the public release of the Final Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the Ambler Mining District Industrial Access Project in late March.

Following the US Bureau of Land Management releasing the EIS, the final step in the permitting process for the project is the issuance of the Record of Decision by the BLM and the issuance of the Clean Water Act Section 404 permit from the US Army Corp of Engineers. Trilogy Metals expects these two items to be issued concurrently within the next couple of months.


Bristol Bay Native Corporation’s (BBNC) subsidiary Bristol Bay Resource Investments acquired a 15 percent stake in Diamond Point and its main asset, Diamond Point Quarry. Iliaska Environmental, a wholly owned subsidiary of Igiugig Village Council (IVC), owns the remaining 85 percent.

Diamond Point Quarry is believed to contain 30 million to 40 million cubic yards of high-quality hard rock. Given the location of the quarry on Cook Inlet tidewater, IVC and BBNC believe Diamond Point offers a promising source of rock material for infrastructure projects in Anchorage, Kodiak, and the Alaska Peninsula. Diamond Point will complete further tests of the rock material in the quarry with the goal of selling material this summer. |

Alaska local business owner and his wares
Sitka Local Foods Network
The Sitka Local Foods Network announced the winners of the third annual Sitka Food Business Innovation Contest. Andrew Jylkka, owner of Southeast Dough Company, won the Existing Business Category and Levi Adams, owner of Forage and Farm, won the start-up category; each business was awarded $1,500.

Northrim Bank
Northrim Bank will open its newest branch, the Fairbanks West Community Branch located at 3637 Airport Way, Suite 110 during the third quarter of 2020. The new location in the Safeway University Avenue complex updates the bank’s “branch of the future” blueprint with a focus on customer interaction. The Fairbanks West Community Branch is the seventeenth Northrim location in Alaska.

Fugro | NOAA
Fugro signed a 5-year Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity contract with the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to provide shoreline mapping services in support of the agency’s Coastal Mapping Program. Issued through NOAA’s National Geodetic Survey (NGS), this multi-year contract is NGS’ second consecutive award to Fugro for services such as the provision of aerial imagery, topobathymetric lidar, and shoreline feature compilation. NGS uses the data to update NOAA nautical charts, define US territorial limits, support coastal management activities, and perform inundation modeling. |

Eielson AFB

The first two F-35A Joint Strike Fighter aircraft arrived at Eielson Air Force Base in April. In total, fifty-four F35As and approximately 1,300 personnel will be based at Eielson by the end of 2021. The fifty-four aircraft represent two squadrons that will join the reactivated 356th Fighter Squadron, which will join the 18th Aggressor Squadron of F-16s and the 168th Air Refueling Wing currently assigned to Eielson.

The F-35A Joint Strike Fighter is a 5th Generation stealth aircraft designed to operate jointly between military services and allied countries as the quarterback of air combat. The F-35A is capable of air-to-air and air-to-ground combat, electronic warfare, and delivering nuclear weapons.